View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamisenrat View Post
What other formats can be read without my having to mess about with them, and how limited am I?
The other supported "Secure" format is Adobe ePub. This is generally better than Adobe PDF if you can get it, because PDF has hard page breaks that split up the flow. However, Adobe ePub is relatively new and not widely available. Books on Board sells Adobe ePub as well as Adobe PDF. There are several sites that sell DRM-free ebooks, FictionWise Multi-Format ebooks are one example, another is webscription.net for science fiction. For Gutenberg, I suggest using manybooks.net since it provides LRF versions.

For Book Designer, see the Wiki. It converts plain text and other formats into readable ebooks. This is free software that is one of the main tools used to produce the high quality versions of copyright free (or creative commons) ebooks in the E-Book Upload Forum here. Unlike in the US, format shifting from one ebook format to another is not a "fair use" exception to copyright in the UK. However, the government is talking about adding such an exception since nearly everyone already thinks they have the right to do this. If you want to honor the UK's ban on format shifting, then only use Book Designer on copyright free material and on your own work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote