View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
jaffab
Enthusiast
jaffab is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PR505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
If you have your ebooks in txt format, half the battle is over.

Like HarryT says, you can load the file into an editor and clean it up by hand. That's the way I usually do it now. It can take an hour or two or more, but I end up with a file that looks just the way I want it.

Once I have the file in txt format I use a freebie program called "E-Book Tidy" to get rid of split lines, page numbers, blank lines, odd symbols and other annoyances. Then I use MS WORD and skim through the whole book to make any other corrections. When I've finished, I apply a font size of 16 to give a good reading size on the Sony, with larger sized fonts for title and chapter headings. Then I save it in RTF format.

While there are various programs to convert files automatically for the Sony, they don't always do a perfect job. I prefer to do it by hand. It's slow and labour intensive, but I watch TV or listen to music while I do it.
Hi,

There is a good discussion on converting PDFs (and the problems they have on word wrapping) to other format including a link to tools, and options here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30263

You will see a post from me, including how I convert a PDF to a RFT with the correct word wrapping and easy to read styles. It takes me about 5 minutes a book, from start to finish, and the results are a lot better than PDFs, or having to edit by hand.

Hope this helps

Jaffa
jaffab is offline   Reply With Quote