View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Blame the industry for blurring the lines

Anti-virus programs don't block ports. Firewall's do.

Anti-malicious tools (includes spyware) can.

The confusion is because some of the old names have become (bloated) security suites.

IMHO another issue is the default configuration of silently doing the job. The user loses the learning experience of having their Internet browsing behavior corrected. Sort of like standing up in class to answer 'How much is 2 + 2' and not having anyone correct you when you answer '5'
I was only intending to give the Doc a heads up that the OP had already done as he suggested.

I hear what you say - I would add that blaming security is more often than not suggested when people cant think of something plausible. The majority of 'disable your av, firewall etc' suggestions just waste the OPS time - not all, just most.

Blocking can also occur at local router and the ISP.

But given the OP can send stuff to her kindle mailbox manually from the same computer and presumably through the same firewall, router etc then its unlikely to be any of those things. It could be the ISP, some of them get touchy about some MIME types and sizes.

I don't use this feature so there's not much I can add, except:-
  1. If its possible I would download the news item to my desktop
  2. Then I would manually initiate the mailing of it, via calibre, to my Kindle Address.
  3. If that works then one can be reasonably certain that its not an infrastructure issue.

Apologies if none of the above is possible or if the OP has already tried this - as I said I don't use this feature.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote