View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 08:07 AM   #47
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank
Do I have, already, some fonts I could convert, by just using Windows temporarily? Do you mean the conversion software only runs under Windows?

I understand I have to own a copy of Windows, to legally convert Windows fonts -- and I don't own a copy -- "borrowing" isn't.

No, changing platforms isn't worth the hassle.
The conversion software runs only under Windows.

The Palm versions of the fonts are bitmapped. Bitmapped fonts are not copyrightable in the U.S.. So, if you run the conversion software on a friend's machine, you can turn the copyrighted TrueType fonts (e.g., Times New Roman) on their Windows machine into uncopyrightable iSilo bitmapped fonts which you can then do with what you like.

The other option is to use PalmFontConv (palmfontconv.sf.net). It has a bunch of command-line tools, and the latest unreleased version in CVS does run under OS X. But it doesn't do as good a job because for patent reasons it doesn't read font hints.