View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #90
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Why must Apple be easier?
Having extremely little Apple knowledge (or, more accurately, extremely dated Apple knowledge), I was apparently wrong. At least, I was wrong starting with Windows 8. Here's another stab of what might be the situation: Before Windows 8, if a Mac user and a Windows user both ignored the entire anti-virus arena, while using a little common sense (navigate away from obviously scuzzy web sites), the Mac user would apparently be OK, and the Windows user would be liable to infection. Starting with Windows 8, the playing ground is about the same: Built in default security is adequate for users running the current OS on both platforms, while anti-virus proponents are trying to convince users otherwise, and both Apple and Microsoft fail to make clear statements. Ironically, last year's biggest malware threat to the Mac was from phony anti-virus software.

Still, the Mac situation is a little nicer. If, at Thanksgiving dinner, someone mentioned liking Macintosh because one can ignore the whole anti-virus thing, most people would nod (even if you would be an exception). But if another someone mentioned liking their new PC because one can ignore the whole anti-virus thing, the turkey talk might not be that pleasant.

Quote:
Just like the canard that Macs don't need AV programs because they never get viruses . . .
Based on admittedly brief googling of the issue, Mac anti-virus software is similar, I think, to a dehumidifier on a PC motherboard. There are are special situations where you might need it (illegal downloader in the Mac case, tropical home without air conditioning in the latter), but most people do not need it. However figuring out whether you need it is confusing. And the anti-virus decision is more confusing because people around you will have strong varying opinions about it.

P.S. This is not a recommendation to upgrade the OS of an old Windows PC. I just wait until it dies and then buy one with the latest software.

P.P.S. If you tire of the internet, just get a used Apple II. No one will tell you you need anti-virus on one of those babies