View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
I read the rest - skimmed it , to be fair.

There's a style of humorous writing which utilizes an over-wordy, pompous tone to produce a comic effect. You should take heart that you've mastered half of that equation.

The main character is a jerk, obviously, prone to navel-gazing and with distinct "Mary Sue" tendencies - it remains to be seen whether he faces any challenges which DO challenge him - how does he do in the encounter at the end of the sample? That's a rhetorical question. If he triumphs yet again, you might consider that part of your problem. Conflict is nothing without struggle.

I can't see me buying the book based on the sample - but I can see how someone else might. The tone is quite similar to the Hal Spacejock stories, except those two main characters are very fallible, and therefore identifiable. In my opinion.

A tried and true technique to sell ebooks is to give something away for free - perhaps a short story detailing one of his earlier hits, what went wrong and how he overcame it would serve as a better introduction to the character. There's a constant stream of detail about the world he inhabits evident in the sample and that's very encouraging.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote