View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm a big fan of tablets, but I hate that stuff too.

All it does is rile up the e-ink diehards, lead to a lot of "if it glows it blows" nonsense and cause threads full of bickering on sites like this.

It's not some zero sum endgame, there's plenty of room in the market for the iPad and tablets in general, e-ink and other reflective screen dedicated readers, smart phones, pdas, laptops, netbooks etc. that can display e-books and/or do other stuff as well.

I'll probably ditch my Kindle when I find the right tablet device as I've found I'm fine with reading on my girlfriend's iPad and prefer all the other functions as I spend more time on the net, video, newspapers, magazines, comics etc. than I do reading novels--that's just a chapter or 2 before sleeping 4 or so nights a week.

But I seen no reason to go around touting the death of e-ink etc. as there's a sizable niche of people who just want dedicated readers with screens ideal for reading for hours on end. And I see no reason that tablets will kill that market. It will stick around and companies will continue making money off it by releasing e-ink and other reflective screen dedicated reading devices.

I will agree that the large screen readers like the DX, Que etc. need price drops. It was niche with in a niche already for those things and I do think tablets will eat into that some. I was interested in the Que and Skiff for reading scholarly PDFs. But not anymore after using the iPad. They look great on there (screen could be an inch or so larger) and having fast page turns and scrolling is a must for research related reading, studying etc., and e-ink is just too damn slow for that. Fine for normal reading going one page forward at a time, but not good for documents you need to just flip through and skim etc.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 04-15-2010 at 04:15 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote