View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Oooh, I never knew you could feed msiexec a URL instead of a local file.

Currently I use a batch file that uses cURL to download the file to a temp file.
I once looked up how, trying to see if there was any way to duplicate the way you can easily do simple command-line installation on linux. Turns out there's a way.

Not as easy, but at least once you know where the msi is, it's just one command.

It should probably look something like this:
Code:
@echo off

calibre-debug.exe -c "import urllib as u; from calibre.constants import numeric_version; raise SystemExit(int(numeric_version  < (tuple(map(int, u.urlopen('http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/latest_version').read().split('.'))))))"

if %ERRORLEVEL%==0 (
echo calibre is up to date.
)

else (
calibre.exe --shutdown-running-calibre
msiexec /i http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/win32
)
But I make no promises.

Also, you can put whatever you do decide to use for upgrading, into a weekly task. Running it every week on Friday at 6:00 AM will mean it gets upgraded just hours after each new release, while you are most likely asleep. (Unless you are still up organizing your metadata. )

Setting a scheduled task,
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote