View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #71
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Reading uses our eyes, listening uses our ears, two different senses utilizing two different body parts.

Neither of which compromises our comprehension of the material.

But without a doubt listening to a book is not the same as reading a book.

This is why I pay no attention to marketing propaganda, they are just full of crap.
"Consuming" a book is probably the best all encompassing word we can come up with. The differentiation will simply confuse and at worst, antagonize other people. I plan to continue to call listening and braille usage reading.

Yes, and thank goodness different senses are used. I couldn't read for 10 years due to brain injury, but I could listen to audiobooks and comprehend most of them just fine. Just don't tell a blind person that they are not reading - you'll just annoy them.

As to the 'cheating' issue that others have commented on, this was discussed in another thread and I think the idea came about because before the late 1990s, most audiobooks were abridged. So a book that took you 20 hours to read, could be narrated to you in 4-5. Clearly, not the same thing.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote