View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Open source rarely last for long simply because there is no money in it and maintaining code is hard work. The open source project that last more than a few years tends to be corporate supported rather than supported by individuals. I can't think of any consumer oreiented open source projects for iDevices that stayed active more than a few years. There just isn't any money in it and developers get bored with it.

Cross platform development frameworks rarely work. I think that most companies that develop successful multi-platform applications tend to write to a specific base platform and then port it to other platforms. You can do it if you are careful and design it with cross platform in mind, but it isn't easy.

No idea what Marvin 3 is written in, but everyone is moving to Swift these days.

The issue that any 3rd party ebook reader is going to face is the same issue that all the ones out there face. The ebook store reader app (iBook, Kindle and Kobo) is good enough for the vast majority of people, and those who it's not good enough for, tend to be very picky.

Since most have very different wants, it's impossible for any app to successfully fore-fill all those wants. Add in a few obsessive types who absolutely pound any app that doesn't do things exactly like they want (ignoring the fact that their wants change over time) as worthless junk and the question quickly become why would anyone keep with such a thankless job? Only a masochist would stick with it long term.

If I every get some spare time, I plan to write something like calibre for audiobooks simply because I have a desire for something like that and the current offerings don't meet my needs. If I every get around to doing it and like the result, I may or may not try putting it up on the app store, but if I do, then it will be for a nominal charge and an "as is" basis. I know it won't make money and I know that some will bash it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote