View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #1988
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
...which would be Utopian....
I'd don't know if I'd describe Lowell's "Golden Age" quite as a Utopia, but clearly, as the name "Golden Age" implies, we see it with a rather positive and fondly nostalgic outlook.

Also, in saying "I know that ultimately nothing bad will happen" you might be either spoiling it for folks, or setting some folks up for disappointment.
I don't think it's spoiler to say, since Lowell's said it himself, that the books get darker as the Trader's Tale goes on....

BTW, I LOVE the series. About time for a re-listen, I think.
Certainly not Utopian, but definitely "rather positive and fondly nostalgic outlook". The space opera equivalent of an English Cozy, in some ways. And definitely books that lend themselves to re-read/re-listen.

They do, indeed, get a bit darker as the series progresses. I'm in the middle of a re-listen, or actually getting towards the end of it. Just started Owner's Share. We should soon have an Audible version of To Fire Called, the latest one. I know it's under contract and the narrator will be Jeffrey Kafer, who has done the previous ones.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote