View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
I have always loved reading. I have conquered the world with Genghis Kahn and stood on the raging deck with Horatio Hornblower. On some of the postings I had in 30 years of Army service it was either read or drink in whatever down time was available. Tried both and settled on reading (mostly).

I discovered eBooks several years ago and began reading on a laptop. I eventually acquired a PDA - HP RX5915 - and things got better and easier. I became disgusted with the commercial sites and began rolling my own using a straight HTML editor. I then discovered MR and Book Designer. Starting with Harry's tutorial, things were uncontrolled from there.

After retirement from the Army, I spent almost twenty years as a software designer and programmer as a government contractor on various weapon systems. This was constituted of capturing digital data streams and telemetry, converting to English and engineering units and displaying data on a PC in various operating systems to include windows. I also created simulations of weapon systems in windows.

The reason for the previous rambling is that I am imbued with the military standard for display, ease of use, recovery, and obviousness of operation. I sometimes ask what may be considered to be dumb questions and irritate some developers and users. I guess I would like to see a standard for eBook tools as well as for the eBooks themselves.

At 72 years, I guess I will not change. I love the process of creating eBooks and am willing to make them available to others. I sit in my easy chair with the laptop on a small table which slides over my lap and the search for books, covers, or create covers in GIMP, and then construct the eBook with either music or the TV in the background.It has become my daily adventure. It has become an obsession as well as a hobby.

MR is the first forum I have used in any detail. Learning the INs and OUTs and protocols has been an adventure in itself. My books have improved over time and there are many forum users to point out any shortcomings.

So, thats why I make eBooks and post them. If I can do it anyone can. The only real problem is posting a book that someone has already posted.

Get with the program, and post. If you need help, just holler!
Charlie

P.S. I have finally converted my wife. Although she has not givenup pBooks, she loves her Kindle. People OOH and AH wnen she uses it in public. A litle progress.

Last edited by crutledge; 01-25-2009 at 10:31 AM.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote