View Single Post
Old 02-24-2023, 06:21 PM   #1
Leilu
Leilu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kobo Libra 2
Kindle Oasis 3 replacement

Hello,

I am looking for a replacement for my Kindle Oasis 3.

Why is my Oasis 3 no longer working for me?

Cons:
  1. The Amazon ecosystem and its lock-in annoys me.
  2. I would have liked to be able to create and import collections directly from Calibre but it's not possible as far as I know unless you jailbreak your device, which I can't do anymore since it updated itself to 5.15.1
  3. Disastrous user experience.
    We can't create folders/subfolders or collections/subcollections to organize our books.
    The home screen is not customizable and displays information that I don't care about at all.
    The library screen does not even offer the bare minimum:
    we can only display 5 books at the same time on one page,
    only 9 filtering and 4 sorting parameters.
  4. I find its autonomy ridiculous compared to a Paperwhite.
  5. The handling of the device is unpleasant because of the material of the shell. It's probably premium to have something other than plastic but I feel like I'm holding an ice cube on winter nights.
  6. I don't like the rear protrusion on one side of the device. Its weight is unbalanced and its grip is unpleasant.
    For these last two problems, I bought a fabric cover at the cost of another disadvantage: the extra weight.

Pros:
  1. The ability to add downloaded fonts (modulo the fact that you have to convert all your books to azw3 to be able to select these fonts, it won't show with mobi books). I like Literata very much.
  2. The possibility to add custom dictionaries (for example, I created a dictionary to facilitate my reading of The Silmarillion, it was great instead of going back and forth to the lexicon).
  3. The remaining reading time in a chapter and book. You might find it silly but it encourages me to read a lot. Without it I think I would have a much harder time getting into a book.
  4. I kind of like the physical buttons for turning pages but I think I could do without them.

I don't intend to read manga on it because that would mean a bigger screen and I think 7" is my comfort limit.

I think the ideal would be a not-yet-updated Paperwhite, which would remove many of the flaws I'm noting on my Oasis 3.

I don't know much about the other brands and I find that it's not easy to get really detailed presentations of e-readers on the internet.
For the addition of custom dictionaries for example, I had to dig a little and at the beginning it was not easy.

Leilu is offline   Reply With Quote