View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #83
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
In the meantime, I found stardict dictionary data and copied it into the right directory. But nothing happens when I want to look up a word.
I have something simple you can try, if this is not PB specific and just means that the dictionary code has not been set up:

This worked on a Kobo: if the time on the device, i.e., your Pocketbook, is behind the time on the computer from which you copy the dictionary files, the dictionary application "sdcv" seems to fail. It might look to it like all the dictionary files are from the future.

You can check this by listing the modification times of the dictionary files. If sdcv has run at least once, there is an additional cache file *.idx.oft. When I discovered this behaviour, the .oft file's time was two hours BEFORE all the other files' time despite it was created AFTER. I changed all times back to before the time of the .oft file, rebooted and the dictionary worked. This should of course also happen if you wait long enough for the device's time to catch up.

The internal clock seems not to be in the same time zone as shown by the UI, it is for me always two hours behind. I am in a GMT+1 time zone, so it does not even with respect to GMT make any sense...

I was very puzzled by this at in the beginning. The dictionary did not work right after copying the dictionary files over, just said "Nothing found" or so. Later all of a sudden it started working. Now I understand that only the Kobo's clock had caught up with the dictionary file times. Encouraged by this, I copied more dictionaries over and it stopped again since now these files were from the "future".

The sdcv code is not very readable, so I cannot easily see why this is so, but it is reproducible on the Kobo.

Last edited by sadowski; 02-04-2015 at 11:06 AM.
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote