View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #61
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I guess it's my fault, but I really don't want another "ads vs no ads" debate. My stance always is: do what you want, it's your device, but don't ask me for help.
I completey agree with yifanlus's point of view as well. You bought the device. You own the device. You can do anything that you want to with your device, including things that are illegal, and things that are harmful to others.

But beware that there are consequences to your actions. Please treat others with respect, and if you do things that could harm others, please do not ask others to help you. It is your own moral choice. You must do it alone.

The bottom line: when you use lock-picks, you should not leave the door open behind you. I think you can see how this would attract unwanted attention from security. The same thing applies here about publishing your hacker exploits.

Why I (and others) feel this way:
Spoiler:
Removing ads from an ad supported kindle DOES harm amazon by reducing the profit margin on ad supported kindles, which are sold with little or no profit (or even at loss) in hopes that you will click through the ads for more information, in which case they get paid for your page view of the full ad. They may also get a smaller payment just for pushing the ads to your kindle. If you modify your ad storage locations so that ads cannot be downloaded, amazon will not be able to receive even that small compensation. They gave a significant discount to you. You should be nice to them in return (my opinion, of course).

Remember the Golden Rule (treat others as you want them to treat you).

All we ask (I and others of like mind at this forum) is please do not ask us to help you do things that we believe are less than honorable, and please do not encourage others to follow in your footsteps by publishing details of how you cheated amazon and how they can too.

It is fine for you to disable ads as a learning experience, but you really ought to do the right thing and put them back when you are done with that experiment. The same rules apply to 3G experiments. There are too many people who would abuse what you discover when you jailbreak or root a device and publish all the secrets. People need to learn some things on their own.

It would be nice if everbody could treat others (including helpful generous companies such as amazon) with respect, and return some of that generousity by allowing them to put ads on your kindle. I even recommend that you click and view ads that are not annoying. This allows amazon to custom tune the ads for your interests, so that over time they will actually get a lot more interesting to you. Also, it would be nice if you buy at least one eBook from amazon using your device. This will enable amazon to provide us with future kindles that are better and more affordable.

Enough said? Too much perhaps... Well then, let's stop asking how to cheat amazon, and concentrate our efforts on positive pursuits such as adding new features and functionality to our kindles.

On behalf of (most) kindle developers, thank you for your time, and try to do the right thing.

P.S. I have done more than my share of things that could be seen as questionable legality or morality, but in general I try very hard to follow the Golden Rule: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule

EDIT: The *real* bottom line below is so important that it was copied to the top:

One last thing about publishing your hacker exploits: when you use lock-picks, you should not leave the door open behind you. I think you can see how this would attract unwanted attention from security. The same applies here.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-07-2012 at 11:10 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote