View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Perhaps the software's being written by people who only read books?? Not everyone needs/wants to annotate, bookmark, highlight, search or even use a dictionary with their their ebooks - I don't - even if you see these as core requirements of a reader application. Which isn't to say that the developers are right not to accommodate these features, but perhaps they want to concentrate on making a good reading app to start with?

You don't say which reading app you're using, but perhaps you could petition the developers to add the features you need?

Cheers, Pete
Point taken, Pete, that some folks just want to read through a book as quickly and unencumbered as possible - I do myself, for say a Lee Child novel, or similar. Good reads, not much to annotate. But if the ebook offers more limits to the total reading experience than a paperback, then it has lost some of the luster. I can mark up my books, scribble in the corners and pass the book on to others to look at and to read my scribbles, see my highlighted passages. You can "kind of" do that with an assortment of these readers, but there is no one solution that will do whatever the reader/user wants.

My apps--
I have Kobo, which cannot search (the only reader I have that lacks this ability), takes long to load chapters and some pages, but can be used as a social networking tool, opening new avenues of discussion. An interesting new concept.

I have iBooks which is pretty good, but I've found the dictionary to be useless, as when I come upon a word I'm not familiar with, iBook has a similar difficulty. I really have not used ibooks much.

The Nook app is similar in limitations to the iBook, but I like being able to get the B&N ebook editions of some classics that contain interesting forwards and essays. I rank this just below Kindle.

Kindle is my favorite, as it is easiest to use, fastest, and the dictionary is in a class by itself. Always useful.

Still, as the OP pointed out, not export feature for the notes or highlights. Why not some "sidecar" type file that can coexist with the actual book file, as in image Raw files, that keep track of related meta data? That way we have all that info at least available to us. Not being a software designer or developer, I can only wish for functions and suggest similar usages I come across. Still I'm hopeful that the changes we seek will show up. Eventually.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote