View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamante View Post
So, they are called soft scene breaks. I'd like to put in a respectful request for support for them in eReader input. ...
I've noticed these scene breaks for years in eReader e-books but just thought of them as three centered asterisks until I checked yesterday and found that they are handled differently in different eReader versions. ...
I've found both what I think of as "soft" scene breaks (extra blank space) and "hard" scene breaks (extra space with an ornament, three asterisks, or horizontal rule) in books. Usually a book uses one style or the other, but I've seen the occasional book, both printed and ebook, that use both, one indicating a small jump and the other a larger one.

When massaging ebook files I habitually replace the old text convention (***) with a horizontal rule (25% width is my preference) and make sure that there is a non-breaking space in the "soft" scene breaks if they are done with simple paragraph tags (<p>, I replace any <p></p> pairs with <p>&nbsp</p>) instead of a CSS style. I haven't encountered it myself, but I've read that some ereader software ignore empty paragraphs and therefore don't display the extra blank space when a simple <p></p> pair is used.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote