View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #50
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I'd love to see somebody try to prove in court that ebook readers and ebooks are totally *separate businesses* and that it should be illegal for one company to do both.
Well they may not be separate legally but they are to me as a consumer. When I first bought an ereader back in 2009 after some research I decided that the Kindle looked like the best device available[*]. However I made sure that it was possible to "unlock" the files because I didn't want to be tied into one supplier. If I couldn't have done that I might have gotten an ADE epub device (which I did later anyway) or I might have just waited a little longer. I see selling devices and selling books as separate businesses in the same way as I see selling DVD players and selling DVDs as separate.

And I never said "it should be illegal to do both". The point about anti-trust/anti-monopoly laws is that things that are acceptable in a market where you're just another player may not be if you've got an overwhelming share of that market.

[*]I'm sure there'll be those that argue it wasn't but that was my conclusion rightly or wrongly at the time.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote