View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #92
JohnMorris
Enthusiast
JohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS650, Kobo touch, PRS-T1
Three days into my new Kobo experience (liking it so far), my top firmware improvements would be:

1) When browsing the library, have a mode that squeezes as many entries as possible onto the screen. Only title and author are needed - the icon is too small to be of much benefit.

2) Folders would be great: I have so many ebooks (and PDFs) that a flat list is unmanageable. Everything _is_ nicely hierarchically organized on my PC: it would be so much easier if the the same hierarchy could be on the Kobo.

3) Faster update when adding content. 450 books took well over an hour of waiting for just a moment. Is it doing something, such as extracting images for iconification, that could be postponed until the icon is actually needed?

4) Change the page number display to delete "PG". I can work out that "3 of 229" - or even "3 / 229" is the page number and don't need the "PG" hint. Make it more book-like.

5) Add - perhaps as an option - the time and the battery status along the bottom of the screen.

6) Controversial: add a configurable option so that when reading a book, a short press press on the button turns to the next page. Home would then be reached by a long press (or maybe a double click). This came to me last night when I found it not possible to read using just my left hand to both hold the book and to page forward, something I had got used to with the Sony PRS650.

7) The right margin has, at the start of each logical page, the page number in very small print. With margin cut this collides with the text distractingly. Take it away, or make it optional.

John Morris
JohnMorris is offline   Reply With Quote