View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #39
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I don't look for self published books, I look for interesting books. I just don't reject self published books out of hand.
If I have the choice between a traditionally published book and a self-published book, both from to me unknown authors, and they sound equally interesting, I'll go with the traditionally published book because I still haven't seen a compelling argument why I shouldn't. The risk of wasting time and money is lower.

It was mentioned a few times that there are self-published books that are re-issues or written by authors who previously published books traditionally and their niche publisher went out of business. These are not examples for what I was referring to when I voiced my experience with works by self-publishing writers. A self-published re-issue was at some point a traditionally published book, and authors whose previous works were published traditionally have already demonstrated their ability (although I would still be more hesitant here because there is a substantial difference between a submitted manuscript and the post-editing product).

At the end of the day, I'm guided by my own experiences. I have been satisfied with the majority of traditionally published fiction I've read, and only a small portion of self-published novels left me feeling good about the time I spent with them. That's my vantage point. I'm just not keen on continuing to experiment only because self-publishing appeals to me on a romantic level. It's a nice idea, a great concept even, that largely doesn't (presently) work for me as a consumer/reader.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote