View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #32
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I find this thread baffling. Has the OP never read dialog in books before?

It's one thing to wonder if you should use UK or US standards in an international market, but where on Earth did the idea for those wacky non-standard punctuation schemes come from??

Do this, if you've somehow managed to avoid doing it so far in your literary life: Go to Amazon.com or some B&M book store and look for best sellers in the country or language that concerns you. Open some up and note how dialog is punctuated.

Look at, say 10 books. If you happen to come across one of the ten that is punctuated differently than the other nine, toss it and go with the majority.

By the way, I would find the period in the quotes before the tag jarring. Can some one point me to a mainstream US book where dialog is handled that way?
That is, I'm used to
"Yes," he said.
rather than
"Yes." he said.
I don't know why this is so for a period, since question marks and exclamation points always go in the quotes, but it is.
Can't recall ever having seen the second way in a BPH US book.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 07-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote