View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #24
skreutzer
Software Developer
skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I believe this was not intended to be exclusive of other solutions
That's the question to resolve here. If other licenses or “all rights reserved” are accepted as well, the copyright notices in the upload posts should reflect it, because then it would be very likely that any given book contains material which is restrictively licensed, so the reader needs to be aware to handle them with great care.

Quote:
but it doesn't say which kind of CC
Indeed, therefore I want to know too, if there's a particular CC license required or just “any” (not all of them are libre licenses), and if this is stated somewhere on the site, so uploaders were able to know about it prior to today. As it seems to be hard to find, I might have to look into the EPUBs and try to find out which CC licenses were used up to this point.

Quote:
And that doesn't mean all books in the library automatically comply with these guidelines; we try to make sure there are no "problematic books", but we cannot thoroughly check every upload, we basically trust the uploader's description.
Sure, there are limits to what you guys can do and what's actually feasible. I guess you're doing a “best effort” approach and are also relying on people to notify you if an upload or its parts raise(s) a concern.

It might be that there wasn't a common understanding of what's accepted and what isn't, and maybe that wasn't an issue before as mobileread can ignore third parties and concentrate on the mere distribution of text towards readers, but the cases in 2007, 2011 and 2015 showed that it would be of help to have some certainty regarding this question, so it hopefully will become clear what can and can't be done in the future. If uploaders interpreted the existing statements differently, we might be stuck with a library which can't realize its full potential, but maybe uploaders did the right thing even if it wasn't explicitly stated.
skreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote