View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #38
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I would normally agree with that, but the word is usually prefaced by "beauty," such as "Beauty Salon." This is in the U.S.

In Peru, the word "Salon" is seemingly everywhere, but again it denotes a place where women (predominately) get pedicures, manicures, faces and legs waxed, and hair fixed in various manners. Occasionally, the word will have "beauty" before "salon." They are on every corner, it seems.

Don
I suppose it's as much to do with my geography and the pattern of language used in my area. When my sister or aunt or a friend is going to a 'Beauty Salon' they'll say something along the lines of:

"I'm going to the Salon"

The prefix of 'Beauty' is all but gone in common language usage around here. The actual Salon's themselves don't have the word Beauty very often either - it's more like <name of proprietor> Salon or <exotic locale> Salon.

I suppose the word conjures up images of blow-dryers, tanning beds and free cups of tea in my head
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote