View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #39
osu
osu began at the beginning.

Device: whatever.
Talking Ipad, Nook, Netbook, iTouch, iPhone.

I have an iPad 2 and, now, a Nook Simple Touch.

I was debating whether that would be excessive, but decided to go with it. The Nook ST was a gift. Family had asked me what I wanted and given me options-- the Nook ST was one of the cheaper options, so I chose it. I wanted it for the e-ink screen. I have enjoyed the Nook ST already. It's light, easy to hold for hours and hours, and easy to read on with the e-ink.

Devices:
- iPhone, iTouch... used for games and very light apps (weather).
- Got a netbook a few years ago, partially as a gift. Used it a lot.. until I got a laptop. I used to browse and read and everything on the netbook.
- Got a Nook original. Used it heavily the first months, then didn't use it at all. Sold it.
- Got an iPad 2. Didn't expect to use it much, but ended up using it every day since I've had it. Books, games, light browsing, movies, music, audiobooks.

The iPad and netbook both go with me on trips. The iPad sucks to type on, so "real work" or e-mails, I do on the netbook. The netbook is still harder to do 'real work' than on the laptop.

The iPad is used for trips and for daily use for music, reading, light web browsing, apps, videos (HBO2Go). I use it all the time. Definitely gotten my money's worth on that one.

I got a Nook Simple Touch for Christmas. I decided to put textbooks and more in-depth reading on it, and use my iPad more for fun books.

I love reading on the Nook ST because of the e-ink. It's much easier on my eyes. But, I only do library books and don't like having to constantly browse, download, transfer with Adobe Digital Editions, etc. onto the Nook every time I want to read. (I read... a lot.) So, the Nook gets books that are long, or have a long expiration date from the library, or are textbooks... anything that would be useful to have for a while. The iPad gets color books, PDFs, audiobooks, and anything I don't feel like downloading with Adobe Digital Editions. If the Nook ST could check out and download library books on it's own, I would adore it. Otherwise, I like it... but it's not perfect.

I like having the Nook ST because it's cheaper, so I'm more comfortable using it in bookstores, libraries, coffee shops, transit, on the beach, etc. I'm less worried about it, which is nice. I don't put a case on it-- the cases I've seen are too expensive compared to the cost of the device. It seems sturdier than an iPad and I don't mind throwing the Nook ST in my bag. The Nook ST is super light... much lighter than the original Nook I had. The Nook ST doesn't have any speakers or headphone jack at all, which is lame... but the original Nook had such a crappy audio player that I probably won't miss it. The Nook ST only has the crappy hidden web browser, while the original Nook had a relatively decent browser. The Nook ST screen is really, really small. I'm constantly having to turn pages. Turning pages so often is less of an issue on the iPad or original Nook. The Nook ST size is great for being portable and light... definitely easier to hold a Nook ST in one hand to read for hours than an iPad.

Sometimes I leave the Nook St in my bag, and the iPad on my desk-- makes it nice to have different devices so I don't forget my reading material at home.

It's definitely not necessary to have both (or either), but.. it is enjoyable.

So, I plan to keep the iPad 2 and Nook ST.

If I had received a Nook Color for Christmas, I might have considered selling the iPad just for the money... but the Nook ST is cheap enough that I just assume keep it. I couldn't make that much from it, and it is fun to have... just not necessary. I have used both the Nook ST and iPad 2 regularly, sometimes at the same time (music on iPad 2, reading on Nook). I suppose I could sell both and get a Nook Color for the money, but, for most things, I enjoy the 10 inch iPad screen.
osu is offline   Reply With Quote