View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
There's really no need to search for an english version of Buddenbrooks since it is a very boring book. Better keep an eye on Zauberberg. This on is really a very special book in my personal opinion.

I voted for Herodotus and Lucretius because I think I need more real classics this year, and I voted for Cervantes because I'd like to read it in the near future.
I still hope Lucretius makes it, although it seems a bit of a long shot, but I think you are too harsh with the Buddenbrooks! At least, I remember finding it a page turner in my salad days - though admittedly I read it in an Italian translation, that might have been the difference - I read that Lowe-Porter's translation is somewhat stiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan
Does anyone know of an English ebook version of Buddenbrooks--neither Amazon UK nor the itunes Store seems to have one.
I looked into this a little, and apparently John E. Woods translation is very good - I am yet to find it in electronic version (though I have found it in Italian).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote