View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 01:56 AM   #5
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur
Xaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litter

Device: PRS-T1
Compared to me at the time? Definitely genius :P

Well, I don't know what to do yet, I'm just setting up the ARM toolchain in order to take a look. You can get a toolchain here: http://www.gnuarm.com/

The linux running on the device seems to be "MontaVista linux", /proc/cpuinfo shows:
Code:
Processor	: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 4 (v6l)
BogoMIPS	: 398.12
Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java 
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 6TEJ
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0xb36
CPU revision	: 4
Hardware	: Freescale MX31 EBX5016
Revision	: 31020
My current problem is that I'm limited to editing the load_test.600.sh code that you place in test/ to run the porkupan/igorsk firmware loader, which is tiresome. I want to make it so I can just put stuff on an SD card, stick it in and it'll magically run, like (so I hear) the old reader versions used to be able to (allowing the development of, for example, PRS+). What I would really want is to ssh into the device via the USB connection, but I haven't heard of anyone succeeding with that. Maybe the russians have, but it's hard for me reading their forums via google translate so I don't know.

My other problem is that I know some stuff about how to implement a kernel in general, but don't know that many specifics. This means that there are gaps in my knowledge. For instance, I can clearly see that there's a /dev/fb framebuffer device, and I'm sincerely hoping it represents the screen (which I will investigate once I get a "hello world" working)... but the touch screen interface? I don't see it anywhere. Even if I did see it, I don't currently know how to set up a callback to be told when the user does something, etc. So it's a very fun exploratory exercise for me into the world of embedded linux. Probably the best way to actually have something happen it to modify the xml and js files in /opt/sony/ebook/application/... there's a guide somewhere that's for the 505, but lots of the "modify this" info applies to the 600 once you get porkupan's russified firmware installed: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08...k_sony_reader/

Feel free to ask me questions though. If I know something, I'm willing to share, but I really don't know that much right yet
Xaphiosis is offline   Reply With Quote