View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
kmj1
kmj1 began at the beginning.

Device: B&N nook & Sony PRS-300
Exclamation Moderator should move this topic to the "which one should I buy" board.

Thanks everyone. (remember I am not trolling here. Just wanting informed answers and help on making the best decision for me.)

Anyone know if the Sony daily edition PRS-900 will have the same screen as the PRS-600. I do not care for the blurriness of that screen. The PRS-300 is quite good though in this regard.

I tried a Nook out at a local B&N and it crashed on me each time. I actually forced an update on it the last time because the employees didn't know about the updates and hadn't installed them. I learned how on a thread here I believe. The update did speed up the device but it still had some problems. The interface seemed overly cumbersome but then again I haven't ever touched a kindle to compare. the aesthetics of the nook are very impressive but I do not want to be left with a device that I have to work around its bugs. It should serve me not the other way around. I am willing to wait until the end of January if they can eliminate most of the bugs by then, but who knows if that will happen!?! The keyboard and joystick on the kindle do not bother me. In fact I prefer this method of input over a touch screen even though I use a touch screen daily (iPhone). The DRM thing doesn't really bother me on either one. the reason I purchased the nook to begin with is I thought it would be epub compatible with other reader and future proof. From what I've read, its DRM scheme is as unique as Amazon. I do know how to remove the azx/prc scheme but not the nook epub yet. So I can dedrm the Amazon. Anyways, I bought into the iTunes DRM scheme long ago and it has hindered me yet. i prefer no DRM but as long as I can use it on a device, I am OK. I am a bit concerned about Amazons ability to shut of your account at will. I've read this several places on the web and its scarry. I read where one guy only returned a pricey dslr camera because it was giving him problems and amazon cancelled his account on this. That is scarry. I called amazon yesterday to ask a few question about the kindle and also asked about the scenario of an account for kindle being shut off based on problems with the shopping side. He said they wouldn't do this because they'd want you to continue using your kindle and continue buying books. I told him I have read all over the web of this happening. He reassued me again it wouldn't happen. He also stated that during the first year, any problems you had with you kindle requiring replacement that the replacement would be a new device and not refurb. This contrary to other posts on this board. But who's to say BN or any other doesn't do the same. All in all I am very confused. I have researched for months now and want an ereader. I want to be able to access my books wherever I am (digital bookshelf). I wouldn't mind the kindles ability to access certain web pages to get news and such. I daily check fox news and cnn (thats what I call balanced news ;-) . Newspaper and magazines seem to be more abundant on amazon but I'm sure BN will build theirs up als, but how long will it take. The following is a break down of how "I" see the two...

Nook Pros:
epub
BN a national book chain. Their primary job is to sell books.
very nice hardware
android
wifi
micro sd expansion

Nook Cons:
epub that is DRMed
BN a national book chain. Their primary job is to sell "PHYSICAL" books.
clunky interface on nook
SW has too many bugs right now
Will not have a nook until mid Jan 2010
touchscreen = fingerprints = enraged OCD
small selection of books
higher prices

Kindle Pros:
available now
polished SW
web browsing
conversion for formats not natively supported
larger selection of books and media
cheaper prices of book
physical keyboard (although some see this as a negative, I don't)
established
international access (I live in USA so not a big deal unless I travel)
PDF support
promised epub support (i read that here on a post that stated amazon would suppot this soon)

Kindle Cons:
limited support for formats without going thru conversion
Amazon proprietary format (mobi with DRM, althrough its been broken)
locked into Amazon
amazon can at will shut down your account (although they claim they won't)
poor pdf support
aesthetics not as nice as nook but not bad either.
not epub support yet

I guess the big negative on Amazons side is their format. I think if they moved to epub then they would gain alot more business. I read on a post here that someone had read that Amazon made a statement that they were looking to make the kindle compatible with epub also. I didn't take it they were converting their existing library over to epub but that they would allow the kindle to natively read it from somewhere else. I don't know how true this is but I hope it is.

Sorry to be so long winded but its 5 am here and I had to get this off my chest. I hope everyone can help me. Thaks.
kmj1 is offline   Reply With Quote