View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
It scares me to know that there are teams out there with access to my stuff (see OP's remarks) but that's the downside of technological improvements.
If you use any of the services in the chart you cite, there are no teams with access to "your stuff." All of those services encrypt "your stuff", now if you declare items to be shared publicly then anyone could have access.

Quote:
Anyway, then I wondered what does all this cost so I scrolled all the way down to below the green advertising to find a link to the "explore pricing". That's bloody sneaky if you ask me - to place links about pricing down there - no mention of this anywhere near the top of the page.
How is it sneaky to offer you a 5GB account for free, then share the pricing on other paid plans?

Quote:
Now, if someone would do a comparison chart about ALL the pricing.
Look around and you can find this info. If you check out the video casts (also available as audio podcasts and transcibed text) of Security Now episodes 349 and 350 Steve Gibson goes over most Cloud storage plans, their security and their costs in detail.

Quote:
In truth and in my opinion these are nothing but glorified megaupload, hotfile, rapidshare, etc.
In truth you don't fully understand what you're talking about. Half of the items in the chart are file syncing and the other are backup solutions. You can abuse any service but none of the services in the chart have their primary usage as file sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
DB would seem to be entirely justified in taking this action.
I agree Dropbox was in the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the issues with MegaUpload, etc, it's hardly surprising that they're being vigilant in their monitoring of the use to which their public folders are being put.
The case cited talked about receiving a DMCA notice, Dropbox doesn't have the right to create a notice since they don't own the works. This means that Dropbox received a DMCA take down notice and simply complied.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-04-2012 at 07:45 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote