View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
2) The Sony 505. I saw this in person at Borders and it is very pretty, and feels perfect in the hand. I hate that there is no Mac support, but am I correct that I can buy books from Mobipocket instead? Do I have to go through a conversion process, or can I just see the Sony as a USB drive and drag and drop? If I move on to another device later (like the Cybook) would I be able to still read the books I buy? And is there any way for me to take advantage of their 100 free classics offer?
No, you can't buy Mobi books for the Sony. Sony have their own format (BBeB). You can, however, buy Microsoft Reader (LIT) books and convert those for the Sony, but you need a Windows machine to actually buy LIT books. You also need a Windows system to be able to buy books from Sony's Connect store, including the free ones ("Bootcamp" works fine for this on a Mac).

Quote:
3) The Cybook Gen 3. This is the device I am leaning toward. I like the idea of it being easy to use on a Mac and able to read more formats. Plus it is small and slick. Worrying about purchase and support is what is holding me up. A) I really like the NAEB deal at $375 for a modified deluxe package and I want to order from them, but from the posts I’ve read they don’t seem to quite have their act together. They don’t have the ability for anyone to purchase yet, and the date for this to happen keeps moving back. How do we know that they will have any customer support if something goes wrong with the unit? B) Even though it will be more expensive I’m considering ordering direct from Bookeen, but again, from the posts I’ve read it seems like this can be a bit problematic, and they aren’t delivering (on time anyway)
I have a Gen3 and am VERY happy with it indeed. A truly excellent machine. I wouldn't worry about the ordering - it's a new device and production is still "ramping up". Shipments are due to restart this coming Monday.

I wouldn't bother with the "Deluxe" package. Buy the basic Gen3 and the leather cover. The other stuff you get in the Deluxe package really isn't worth the money.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote