View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #49
LarryNYC
Groupie
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
I had M92 and was really happy with it. Onyx provided continuos support and features with every new firmware release. However M92 is quite old device now and comparing it against RP1 or even S1 is unfair: they belong in different times completely. It's like comparing iphone 1 and 6: not fair.

I am a fan of a device's functionality not its looks, Onyx device build is more than sturdy. I don't really care about metal/glass finishes etc. - for me it's a device used for work not a bracelet to show of.

"Few features had not been there"? You mean it offered only ONE feature: pdf handling.

RP1 "added a lot of features"? Again: just PDF handling. No screen mirroring, email client, keyboard... These are features you can have with Onyx latest (and couple years old, e.g. M96) devices - it gives you perspective how far behind Sony is...

You ask what exactly is so much better with Onyx, I could list dozens of things but I will go with one word: Android. A system that let you install thousands of applications each offering multiple diverse features. But yeah, pay for the label...
I just want something that does an excellent job of replacing paper, not something that runs thousands of applications. The Sony DPT-S1 does a brilliant job of replacing paper, and with increased resolution and a faster processor, the DPT-R1 will be even better.

Somebody on the DPT-S1 owner's thread complained about their experience with the Onyx. One of the things they mentioned is that they could only figure out how to write notes at the top of the page, I'm not sure if that is still true. The Sony lets me write notes all over a PDF document, something I use it for every day.

This person also complained that the drawing experience on the Onyx was flakey and that sometimes erasing something erased the last twenty seconds of their work. Drawing and erasing works well on the Sony, it is as close to a pencil as I have ever seen on a device.

By the way, the Sony DPT-S1 has an application that allows it to function as a whiteboard you can share with others, I think that is what you are referring to with regards to screen mirroring.

I'm ok with the Sony not having access to email, I have enough email on my phone, laptop, and desktop. The Sony does have an interface to Box.com so you can send documents there and share links to the documents. I paste my links into Slack. I try to avoid email as much as possible in my daily work.

There is enough room in the world for different kinds of devices. I'm glad to see that Sony is not abandoning the space.

Last edited by LarryNYC; 04-17-2017 at 06:44 PM.
LarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote