View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: I just fixed that in KindleTool. Right now, I'm showing both:

Code:
Root PW        fiona123        (or possibly fiona1234)
Should I keep on doing that, or just drop the 9 chars password, or implement a config switch to specifically ask for the 9 chars one (and default to showing just the correct 8 chars one)?
So far, all default root passwords have been DES hashes (8 chars). If somebody changed their password, it would become salted MD5, which supports more characters.

There are a lot of people here who insisted that I was wrong when I started saying that the kindle default root passwords only used 3 hex digits, but I inspected all the shadow files on all my devices, and in posted images, and they were ALL DES hashes. And even after all my posts about this, there are still recent posts saying the password has 4 hex digits. Some people are not paying attention.

Personally, I would show ONLY the 3 hex digits. But, if you wish to avoid the people with false assumptions from constantly "correcting" you, you may want to keep the extra parenthesized comment (especially for people who CHANGED their password to use 4 hex digits).

Thanks a LOT for fixing your documentation so you do not perpetuate the "fionaXXXX myth".

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-18-2012 at 09:34 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote