View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Thank you everyone. You have given me the confidence and information to install the latest Calibre.

About 10 years ago when I first tried Linux ...
I have been using Calibre on Linux for quite a few years and it works wonderfully.

The vast majority of plugins work on Linux and you need no special skills for installing them.

I have also customized my Calibre by removing the toolbar and replacing it with menus - you can do that in Preferences. Be careful so you do not saw off the branch you are sitting on ;-). Make sure to include link to Preferences to your menu and familiarize yourself with starting the preferences dialog using keyboard shortcut. And do not switch off the toolbar before you make sure the menu works.

As for installing the Calibre directly from Calibre website - you just copy and paste one line into the terminal and your Calibre is downloaded and installed / updated. That is it.
BEWARE! you can do that with Calibre and its official website or other *trusted* sources. Generally, pasting random commands, that you do not understand fully, to the terminal can damage [files on] your computer beyond repair.

There are other programs you can install outside the official repository, for example google chrome, draftsight or others. You click on link on the page and your Mint Linux will simply prompt you for the password and install the app.

There is yet another group of programs not available on Mint Linux out-of-box, where you just add [Ubuntu] PPA to the list of your trusted installation sources, for example for DarkTable software. After adding PPA to your package manager you can install the software from repositories, just as you would install any other Mint Linux software. Again, use caution - you do not want to add too many non-standard repositories, especially if you do not understand the implications. https://askubuntu.com/questions/4983...-do-i-use-them

As you have noticed, if the software is not available directly for Mint Linux, you can use Ubuntu or Debian installation packages and/or sources. Mint Linux is built on Ubuntu and that is built on Debian.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote