View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #37
kcladyz
I love my parrots
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW White, iPad Pro, Nook Glowlight 3, Asus Zenpad, fire tabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
The dedicated eReader is unlikely to become more than a niche market but it is one that is likely to suit a large and growing demographic. The older reader.

I notice that Tom's article seems very US centric. People outside the US also buy dedicated eReaders and they will also affect the future market for dedicated eReaders.

This being the case as long as companies can make money making and selling dedicated eReaders someone will do so. But technology marches on perhaps someone will come up with screen that is better than eInk, can play HD full colour films, is unbreakable, cheaper and uses even less power. If mobiles and tablet were fitted with such screens I could see dedicated eReaders as we know them disappearing.

eBooks are here to stay (at least for the forseeable future) as they can be read on many types of devices.

In light of the above I think that dedicated eReaders will continue to be around for a while yet as a niche market it is although the number of models is likely to reduce. I also think the glory days of high and increasing sales are over. Unless interest starts booming in countries who have no significant eReader base as yet.

I think the opposite. The younger generation will be more into it. Many older folks I encountered do not even understand what an ereader is. Sales may have tapered off due t its no longer a new concept that everyone flocks too but as long as tablet has glare and people love to read outdoors we will always have a need for a glare free reading like an ereader.
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote