View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 07:04 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I posted this in a similar thread, and will repost it here.

This part seems interesting. If I understand correctly, Walmart will feature small book cards in stores so that people can purchase digital codes to redeem, but because the book cards are small, Walmart will be able to stock a wider variety than they would otherwise with physical books.

The fact that a co-branded app will be available on iOS means that they are will to pay the Apple tax like Amazon already does with everything but books. This is a big announcement. There are no stores that I am aware of that sell books on iOS devices because of that %30 cut. I wonder if they've worked something out with Apple. Walmart is big enough to do it.

GameStop often generates special download codes for customers when they run out of the limited edition Pokémon cards that Nintendo offers from time to time. The actual cards have a rub-off spot to reveal a code to download the critter into the game, but the cashiers can run off as many codes as you'd like when no cards are available during the promo period. I wonder if Walmart will do the same. There's no reason to have individual book cards for each sale. Otherwise, you could run out of them, losing digital sales!
Apple only collects on digital sales, not physical sales so Amazon does not pay the "Apple tax".

Last edited by pwalker8; 01-26-2018 at 01:21 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote