View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #79
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have read a number of her books, though mostly many years ago. I liked her for the compassion and empathy of her books, as is demonstrated by the second half of this book, and the more interesting parts of the first half, such as the different societies, their religions and their politics.

Now of course I am unsure of how much “technical” stuff there was in those other books, which I have forgotten as I had forgotten it in this book. However, I think it was her characters’ relationships with each other, rather than with their spaceships and gizmos, that made her work stand out from the crowd.

Also, she did not write exclusively in the SF genre by any means. The famous Earthsea books are fantasy, Lavinia is historical/mythical fiction, she wrote poetry, essays, books for children, and I don’t know what else.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote