View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #15
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
As they mentioned in keynote, Mac mini’s are being used in server farms. That’s who is going to be buying most of the high end mini’s (with 10 Gigabit Ethernet, 2TB SSD, 64Gb RAM etc). For $4200 you can get an 8-core iMac Pro that includes a 5K display, keyboard and trackpad, and whose memory can be upgraded.
True. Personally I have never ever bought the highest end, not even close, of any computer line, even before I retired. I mostly use my Macs/PCs for photography post processing and similar types of tasks. So I need at least a few steps above the lower end models as far as CPU and RAM and SSD go, but I don't need to climb the stairs all the way to the top floor, if you get my drift. For me, if I had to buy a Mac today I would likely go for something like this:

Mac mini $799 base model plus add the following to bring the total up to $1,499:
  • +$300 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
  • +$200 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • +$200 256GB SSD storage

I'm currently using a MacBook Pro 15" Retina (mid-2014) with 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, and 256GB SSD. It is more than adequate for the tasks I use it accomplish. The Mac mini example above is quite a step up from what I have now, so it would obviously be good for my tasks. Thankfully though, both my MBP and my Mac Mini i5 late 2012 or both in great working shape, so no upgrades are currently in the plans and hopefully won't be for a long while.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote