View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #100
nohuhu
nohuhu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
awp,

Some questions if you don't mind:
  • When it will be possible to open epub document for editing?
  • Are there any plans for including regular expressions Search & Replace as standard feature? I'm afraid without it this otherwise very fine editor is much too underpowered for any serious consideration as main ebook preparation/conversion tool.
  • Is it possible to import html documents? Can't see a way just now and it also a shortcoming in my view.
  • Scripting/macros? If you could embed Perl in there, I think I'd be just ecstatic, and not only I.
  • Finally, any thoughts on ditching that outdated and inconvenient MDI approach? Even Microsoft did that, eventually. (Somebody or another be praised)

These are the issues preventing me from buying a license right now, in priority order. I guess I could live with MDI but other issues are major in my opinion. From your blog, I got an impression that most of the new features and improvements are related to epub and that could mean that the editor is groomed as primary tool for the ebook preparing people who can't (or won't) afford production system like Adobe InDesign. That niche, as far as my research indicates, is completely empty at present, Sigil project being in unstable alpha stage and other tools like eScape and online or standalone converters being a little less than completely unusable.
I'm sad to say that situation changes very, very slowly. I've been monitoring this segment for long time and although there are faint gleams of hope appearing recently, it's still a long way to happiness here. I think epub has great potential but it can't be used as a base e-library format as yet. However, provided that there is at least one decent and inexpensive tool, the situation could change pretty fast, I think.

As one more suggestion, I think it couldn't hurt to add importers for "competing" ebook formats. Batch conversion doesn't always yield expected results and in my experience, some manual adjustment is required almost always and that is better done on a piecemeal basis.

Anyway, Atlantis looks promising so far.
nohuhu is offline   Reply With Quote