View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #51
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it's trivial to check Amazon, Kobo, and Overdrive. I did so in not much time at all.

Amazon.com
Amazon.ca
Amazon.com.au
Amazon.co.uk
Kobo.com
Kobo.com <-- Change the flag to whatever country you are checking
Overdrive.com <-- search for the title and author and post the link you get if you get results. We can check wich one is for the country we are in.

It's that easy.
No, it is not that easy.

Amazon.com very definitely gives different result depending on where you browse from (it recognises the general location of the IP address being used to browse the site and alters its content accordingly). The other sites also do this to a greater or lesser extent.

The only way to (reasonably) reliably check availability is to pretend to be calling from the country in question. This can be achieved via various VPN services - most of the paid versions let you specify where you want to pretend to be calling from. I forgot to do this for my first nomination and so got fooled by Amazon.com just as you have been recommending. If necessary I can send you screen dumps in a private message as proof of the difference ... or you could just believe me.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote