View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash2017 View Post
I am also getting error message 7. My details:
My Device: Kindle paperwhite touch (7th gen)
current: 5.8.10
JBed in an older version, when upgraded to 5.8.9, then restarted and accidentally reset.
Lost JB and Dummy *.bin cannot write any log file. Later upgraded to 5.8.10

Now tried both *.bin files but showed error 7.
Congratulations!
You are now a candidate to try out my new "Serial Port Jail Break" instructions once I finish them.

This is my first answer of the day, so let me waste some time on telling this story one-more-time:

1. Upgrade with an Amazon system image file (the only thing they ship).
    This over-writes the Mobileread developer's signature certificate (a.k.a: the Jail Break).
  2. Restart (part of the image file installation process).
    The JB survival code re-installs the signature certificate (and a few other details).
  3. "Reset (to factory defaults)"
    This erases everything the user put on the Kindle or that the Kindle created for the user. Everything that did not come on a brand new Kindle.
    That includes the "JB survival code".
  4. At this point, the coplate "Master Hotfix Package" could have saved the day for you.
    But you did not use it at this point (fresh image, restart + reset)
  5. Installed another Amazon system image file.
    Once again, over-writing the re-installed signature certificate.
    That is now gone, just like it was in step #1.
  6. Restarted (part of the image update process).
    Only this time, due to steps #3 and #4 , there is no "JB survival code" to re-install the signature certificate.

Welcome to using the Kindle the way Amazon intended it to be used.

Steps #3 through #6 are the only sequence of actions that can completely remove our viral jail break.
But you managed to find them.
So once again, congratulations.

# 14 555 <- somehow appropriate
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote