Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #42
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
geekmaster, since you know more about the jailbreak: can you confirm that it's running inside the diags system, thus requiring mounting the main partition first (probably to /mnt/mmc ) to copy files back and forth?
The one I did with the "generic" mntus.params that is safe for all kindle models, runs in both main and diags boots (depending on ENABLE_DIAGS or the idme bootmode var or the MfgTool select boot getting it there). And it works in both main and diags on 5.1.0 too. Any script launched from mntus.param can run before /mnt/us is mounted, so mine mounts /mnt/us (the writable version) itself. It irks me when people post instructions to mount to /mnt/base-us (the read-only version) then remount it writable.

It looks for BOTH a runme.sh or a RUNME.sh, and runs one if present. Of course, whatever partition you booted becomes the root, so you need to mount main if you booted diags. /mnt/mmc is a good mount point to recommend because it is not used and it is always present. Of course, you COULD mount to any folder, but in my posts I standardized on /mnt/mmc (easy to type, free, and always available with no extra steps to confuse noobs).

I have a "smart" RUNME.sh that checks /proc/bootmode (or whatever -- I don't remember clearly). Then it sets a sentinel file and deletes RUNME.done just before rebooting, then does the idme and reboot commands. The sentinel is to prevent a stuck reboot loop.

My smart RUNME.sh makes CLEAN backup copies of mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk0p2 by booting to the OTHER partition before each copy -- all automagically...

Anyway, although my script works great for me, it is one of many that I did not post because it is not totally noob-proof.

UPDATE: If you are referring to yifanlu's jailbreak, I believe that it does run in diags, as I recall. The details are posted at his website... But if you mean MINE, then it runs in either bootmode, and it mounts main to mmc itself before calling RUNME.sh, then unmounts it on return.

And I still have a reserve jailbreak method that should still work in case data.tar.gz gets disabled in a future update.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-30-2012 at 04:25 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote