View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #850
hooplehead
hooplehead began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Hi everyone!

I got my Kobo Touch a few weeks ago, after having spent 2 months using the Sony PRS-T1 of my fathers. The Sony is the better reader, but I'm not sure it's worth the 40 EUR on top of the Kobo. Depends how future updates will improve the Kobo...

I hope this is the right thread for my bug reports/feature requests. I have to admit, I haven't read all 57 pages... I'm running the latest firmware 1.9.17, reading only sidealong uploaded ePubs up to now.

1) Probably most annoying: Font/page settings like size, margin etc. are global settings. I'm reading two books, if I set the font size on one and switch to the other, fonts become about 3 sizes too big. Why no per-book setting?
Same goes for dictionary setting. If I have my Kobo set to English, I always get English/French. If I set it to English/German, this setting is only kept in that reading session. Close the book or switch books and the setting isn't even kept globally (which would be bad enough), but forgotten altogether.

2) Close to most annoying: footnote jumping almost doesn't work. I first thought it was impossible altogether, but as I read it should work somewhat, I kept trying different footnotes in the same book and managed to jump about once in 20 tries....
The Sony had no problems there: layed over a light grey background those links are easy to spot and one tap jumped. The Kobo 19/20 of times just pages forward/backward.

I guess the big difference here is that the Sony uses swiping motions for paging (works 100%!) and thus leaves taps for things like following links. I guess it's a no-no for Kobo because of licensing/patenting or such insanity. Probably owned/litigatable by Apple...

3) The Kobo dictionary often draws a blank while Sony's Oxford English Dictionary is perfect. It's pretty hopeless. If I don't know a word, chances are the Kobo dictionary doesn't either...

4) I lay a book away for a few minutes, come back and continue reading. Sometimes the sleep-mode kicks in before I'm finished with the page and tap to turn the page, resetting the sleep timer. How about a quick countdown before entering sleep-mode, giving me the opportunity to cancel and continue reading?

5) Searching a marked word takes too long, as it apparently runs thru the whole book. Better: search either forwards or backwards to the next/previous occurance and offer the list of all findings as an option.

6) Hitting the home button could cache the current page of the book. That way the loading time is removed when you come back to the book .

That should be enough for a first batch...
I didn't mention the known favourites, like margins and the most annoying ignored taps. Those should be fixed ASAP.

I hope a few Kobo devs read this and deem some things worthwhile to add in future releases.
Should I mail the above to Kobo's costumer care, so they could forward it to the right department? Coindicentally I just finished filling out a poll in a Kobo newsletter where I mentioned the above points. Maybe we're heard... Kobo, do you copy?

hooplehead
hooplehead is offline   Reply With Quote