View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Drones delivering packages, cars that drive themselves, blimps that store and distribute packages, human trips to Mars....These all remind me of those articles about cool things I read in my dad's Popular Mechanics magazines in the 1960s. They were packed with imaginative ideas and concepts. But the reality is that about 99% of those predicted future devices and concepts still haven't materialized half a century later. Fun to read about for sure. Imaginative too. And no doubt when people imagine things, even if they never can make them work, those imaginations often lead to other things that do work. But my guess is we might not see drone delivery systems based in autonomous blimps during my lifetime, even if I live another 30 years.
Yeah, I feel the same way about Project Loon (balloon based wi-fi). Very Popular Mechanics. I'm even questioning self driving cars, though there are enough people taking it seriously I give it a little more credence.

Maybe I'm a pessimist. I'd love to be wrong. But I think mostly these are a form of PR, building excitement for a brand.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote