View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Hi adrenaline

I routinely buy out of print ebooks and send them for scanning. Based on my own experience:

1. No scanning service can convert a pdf into a decent epub/mobi. There are too many OCR errors in scanning to even consider this, so save the $10.

2. A pdf scan of 1200 dpi for an ebook is overkill and just produces a monstrously large file that will choke most programs.

3. I buy the books to read, so my workflow is to convert the pdf to html in Abbyy Finereader and then to convert the html to epub using Sigil. I have a pretty good idea of what to look for now, so the whole process is not that tedious and time consuming. My accuracy rate is about 95%, which is sufficient for me since I do the conversion for my own use only (I'd rather spend the time reading instead of comparing every single character).

If you only need the ebooks to search text, would not a simple scan to pdf with OCR work? Why would you need to further convert them to epub/mobi?
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote