View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 12:10 PM   #430
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast
Kindle3w_Pdfs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Documentation of the defaults.lua file?

I agree that criticism causes people to get defensive and become less willing to help. Still, someone needs to criticize, to let developers know that poor documentation deters users, deters others from helping, and in the long run is self-defeating. I may not receive help because I speak out, but it may benefit others in the long run, so speaking out seems the ethical thing to do.

Perhaps the reason some devs stop working is because they eventually forget how their code works, and don't have adequate documentation to remind them. When I code, I comment verbosely based on the assumption that several years later I'll have completely forgotten how the code works, and the notes will be needed. The size of my comments exceeds the size of the code.

My question was about finding documentation of the Librerator defaults.lua file, and whether editing that file is a way to globally set fit-width and landscape. After all, the sticky post claims: high configurability - almost everything can be changed/set editing defaults.lua configuration file. That claim is at best a half-truth if the defaults.lua file isn't documented, but it supported my assumption that forking should be unnecessary to make fit-width and landscape the global default settings. Perhaps the answer about Librerator's defaults.lua file will be provided if I ask nicely in the KOReader forum thread.

I looked at the KOReader webpage about changing its default settings but it doesn't include anything related to fit-width or landscape rotation.

I downloaded the most recent nightly build of KOReader and skimmed some of the source code, and I'm not impressed by its commenting. I also looked at its defaults.lua file, and it doesn't contain variables that appear relevant to fit and orientation, so I assume those default settings (presumably fit-page and portrait orientation) are somewhere in the code (poor design). Fixing KOReader thus presumably requires modifying its code, but perhaps Librerator merely requires editing of its defaults.lua config file.

Thanks for having taken the time for all your comments. I don't agree with all of them, but I appreciate that you've consistently been trying to help.
Kindle3w_Pdfs is offline   Reply With Quote