View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #422
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast
Kindle3w_Pdfs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It should be obvious by the contents of the *.zip file. I don't have one handy, you look at yours.
Not sure what you mean by "it" since pronouns are vague. Assuming you mean either the location of the customupdates folder or whether we should extract the zip rather than copying it, I disagree that the answer is obvious to people who don't know the details of what LaunchPad will do when the user types "Shift Shift I".

A few minutes ago I updated my previous message, to note that I found a workaround for the "Shift Shift I" installation problem. Instead of copying the zip to customupdates and typing "Shift Shift I", I copied the zip to the Kindle's usb root folder and extracted its contents. (Then I typed "Shift Shift Space" to load the new .ini file that was extracted into the launchpad folder, and typed "Shift L L" to successfully launch Librerator. And I deleted the unneeded kite folder, which had also been extracted.)

I discovered that workaround by searching for installation instructions for other Launchpad apps until I found a terminal emulator app that was kind enough to provide alternate instructions:
"This file can be installed by using launchpad installation (copy to /mnt/us/customupdates and press shift shift I), or directly by unzipping under /mnt/us."
Based on your latest post in the LaunchPad thread, I'll guess the reason "Shift Shift I" fails is because I never installed the Kindlet jailbreak; I only installed one jailbreak (many years ago). Unless I overlooked it when I read the instructions earlier today, neither the Librerator instructions nor the LaunchPad instructions mention the need to install an extra jailbreak. The LaunchPad instructions don't mention jailbreaks at all.

If the user is willing to manually extract zip installation files, perhaps the Kindlet jailbreak isn't needed for anything.
Kindle3w_Pdfs is offline   Reply With Quote