View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
bazmaz
Uke strummer
bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
@basschick/jhempel - there is a lot of overlap with uke and guitar - not least that the top 4 strings of a guitar are tuned the same (albeit at a different relative pitch) so chord positions are familiar (a D chord on a guitar makes a G on the uke, fingered exactly the same way)

The playing technique though can differ - traditionally they are held to the body, high up and strummed at end of fingerboard with fingers, not behind sound hole.

Otherwise, lots of similarities.

@Salgano - I was in two minds about the setup section, because it is so easy to mess things up - think I put in enough warnings not to go too fast. Glad yours worked out.

I encourage anyone buying an instrument (whatever it is) that they need to learn how it works, how it is set up. Always seemed daft to me to have a guitar and have to rely on paying a tech every time I needed work.
bazmaz is offline   Reply With Quote