View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #58
deviant
Enthusiast
deviant began at the beginning.

Device: none :(
6-8%? SIX TO EIGHT PERCENT?!!

I seriously hope that's wrong because otherwise publishers are nothing more than gangsters in fine suits and the very idea of using them to publish your books is sheer madness.

And here I am, thinking of how damaging piracy is to the people who work to bring the product to the people...

I'm being hopeful now, but with the continued expansion of the internet one can freely assume that publishing intellectual property by yourself will become feasible enough to remove the need for publishers entirely (and I dearly hope that this will come about while I still have interest in books). In such a world, the current file-sharing networks could serve as the infrastructure for distribution of intellectual property.

Of course, theft would be easier but I suppose that reclaiming the other 92% would cover it up if not outreach it.

On the topic of piracy - before one goes on to debate the morality of the issue one must understand the full underlying absurdity of it. I feel free to say openly that I support piracy and no moralistic propaganda spewed by the publishers can change that. Why?

I have no personal qualm in paying $20 for a good book or a video game which I could obtain legally. However, I do have a problem when the same costs in excess of $50 or even $100 as it does here. In such a scenario, I feel no guilt in paying someone $4 dollars to get a pirated copy or not at all for the same thing.

Off topic: I look forward to participating in this community as it has some really interesting stuff going around.
deviant is offline   Reply With Quote