View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
My nook is my third eInk reader and it’s probably my favorite so far. I think that the type of reader a person is has a lot to do with which device that person is going to prefer over another. I consider myself a causal reader and I think the nook is great for causal reading. (By causal reading, I mean reading mainly fiction or non-technical non-fiction without heavily annotating the text as one reads) The 1.2 firmware upgrade came out the day after I received it, so I never had to deal with the slow page turns or the lag between the touch screen and eInk screen. The soft keyboard works well for me – it works better than the soft keyboard on my iPod touch. The contrast of the eInk screen is the best I’ve seen. I also really like how the nook displays ePubs – I can change the font, no huge margins (so far), and no annoying page numbers in the margin that overwrites the text! I like the fact that it has both wireless and 3g and will automatically use the wireless connection over the 3g.

I do not like the terrible battery life I’m getting; however, I was informed by BN’s customer service that they are working on another software update to improve this (hopefully it will come out soon). I think the dictionary the nook uses is the Merriam Webster Pocket Edition and I would like to be able to upgrade that to a better dictionary. While is does seem like the nook was rushed to market before the firmware was ready, at least they are putting out updates relatively quickly.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote