View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
My tip would be to start with something familiar until you get used to listening. I started with rereads of books I'd read a million years ago in high school and college. Because they were familiar, I didn't have to worry about losing the gist of the story even if I got a bit distracted. After a few books, I got used to listening.
I think this is the single best tip for someone who wants to try audiobooks. It is a learned skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

2. Try a sample. I listen to audiobooks mostly via Audible and they have a good track record with me in having quality narrators. That said, everyone has their own taste...so listen to a sample first. I love Scott Brick's narrations (does the Ender's Game Series). Tinker, Taylor, Soldier Spy - eww, the narrator was so bad I couldn’t enjoy the book and never finished. But don’t form your opinions about audio books based on a bad narrator.
Yep. Narrators matter. A bad narrator will ruin a good book. That said, all of the most popular narrators have their naysayers, so you've got to try for yourself (Scott Brick is not universally popular, just saying ). However, there are some where all the reviews agree on the awfulness of the narration and you might as well take their word for it in that case.

Quote:
I liked having different people read the different character's and the minimal music or sounds (like animals if the scene was in a market). They didn’t change the actual words.
I've never listened to the bible, but generally I prefer a single narrator.

Quote:
4. Listen to the book when doing something else that doesn’t need your full attention like doing household chores, taking a walk. You might not want to start while driving.
[/QUOTE]

Heh. I started listening to audiobooks when I couldn't stand listening to the news any more while driving to work because it got me too jangled, but mine was a largely mindless drive. One of the great uses of audiobooks is while exercising. It doesn't make it fun, but it helps make it endurable.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote