View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluma View Post
Because /documentclass{book} doesn't allow custom documen sizes when using 'extarticle' or some other /chapter will be DISABLED.

I realized after changing all /chapter to /section and magically my TOC was rendered.
Definitely sounds like there is an underlying problem that rkomar caught. extarticle is really for extending the article class. This class is good if you are typing up a school/scientific paper.

What you want is to work from book class as a base.

If you are working on creating a book, these are the three popular LaTeX classes that are used:
  • book
    • This just gives you all the basic functionality for making a book (Parts/Chapters, TOCs, Title Page, Appendices, Indexes, etc. etc.).
    • If you want to do more advanced things you will have to read up and learn how to tweak individual components and/or include more packages. For example, enumitem might help you easily create more complicated lists.
  • KOMA-Script
    • This introduces a lot of easily configurable tweaks (use whatever font sizes, look of footnotes/headers/footers, [...]) + bundles more typical bookmaking functionality (side notes, [...]).
    • Documentation: https://www.ctan.org/pkg/koma-script?lang=en
    • Note: The German documentation is supposedly exceptional. I don't read German though, so I have to settle on the English documentation/discussion. I haven't had any problems figuring things out, and have used this in most of my book projects.
  • memoir

You could read more detailed comparisons here:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questi...ipt-and-memoir

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-20-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote